Monday, September 2, 2019

The Emperor has New Clothes?



We are all familiar with the saying, “Clothes Makes the man.”  There was a point in my life where I did my best to prove this wrong - I dressed like a slob and really did not care about how I looked.  I really believed that appearances did not matter and that it was the person behind the façade that counted.  I think that the nadir of this thought hit me when I was coming home from college senior year wearing a crumpled dashiki, had longish unkempt hair and wore ripped jeans.  It was OK that I was wearing them as long as no one saw me, but where I faltered was in deciding to visit my dad who was the General Manager of a spice and seasoning plant at his place of business while in this dress.  I often stopped on the way home but never looking like this.  Aghast, my dad pulled me into his office, let me know how he felt, then booted me out of the place.


His reason?  I was an embarrassment to him and as his son, my look was a poor reflection on him.  “But how I look should not matter…”  No matter what argument I could have mounted, he was right and I was wrong.  And while in many ways I still feel the same, the truth is our first impressions are done visually, before we even open our mouth.  Fast forward many years and I am consulting in a manufacturing plant, where jeans and tee shirts were the norm.  I wore a collared shirt and slacks every day – I wanted to give off a professional appearance, especially since I was hired as “the professional.”  Fast forward to the current day where I have opportunities to work from home.  I will still wear a collared shirt and long pants, sometimes slacks, sometimes jeans, but never shorts.  No one will see me, but I have come to feel that while I am “on the clock”, I need to be in the proper apparel to achieve the right mindset.  Dressing appropriately not only helps on a first appearance but how I feel about myself.


Do not get me wrong, I am still a jeans and tee shirt person; it is just that I have learned the time and place for when and how to dress.  The accompanying picture is from a recent wedding.  I find that on occasion, it is nice for us to “dress up” and look good.  Even at 56, dressing up like this makes me feel like an adult!  So, do clothes make the man?  In doing a little research, it ends up that this phase, or derivations, has been around since the time of Homer.  The version most well-known comes from Mark Twain, where the full quote is, “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.”  I think that I will stick with the clothes and continue to work towards presenting a better, complete package.

No comments:

Post a Comment