Monday, December 17, 2018

Time Together

Over the past 20+ years, I have had the opportunity to travel a decent amount.  The one definite thing is, while I get to go to some neat places, most of the time, I travel alone.  This means that most of the time I eat dinner alone, walk around in my down time alone and have taken tours alone.  There is no glamour to travel like I originally thought prior to the first business trip I took, which was alone.  You learn quickly, that the plane ride, train or car ride are, in reality, just different modes of commuting. 

I do take some pictures and send them back home, but it is not the same as sharing the experience.  This last trip to Ireland, Debbie joined me for most of my time working there.  Let me tell you – it made this trip special, as it was great having her with me – someone to talk to at the end of the day, have dinner with, and explore together.  The ability to share the experiences together as opposed to relating the experience are worlds apart.  Having my wife, my partner and best friend along, to share, to go on adventures with and create memories together are of great value to us.

It is the precious time we spend together that matters most.  We all have the hustle and bustle of daily life pulling us in multiple different directions, sometime we are running around together, sometimes we do so separately.  Working full time takes up most the day, being involved in areas of interest and volunteering takes up time and having a family rounds out our daily, weekly and monthly time.  It is times like this past week that I am thankful to have married my best friend.  While it is nice to know that we are there for each other, it is cool to create that bubble where the two of us can be together.  Most importantly, a trip together reminds us that we still love being together, having adventures and spending valuable time together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment