Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Change Comes to Everyone


Yes, I am the guy who writes about change, speaks publicly about change and whose livelihood relies on change.  But what happens when change comes to Wayne?  And I am not talking about the fuzzy stuff that is adorning my chin.  I am talking about looking out into the future, setting some goals and making the choices in order (some more difficult than others) to attain what I need in my life. 

Next month I turn 56.  “The Balance” recently printed an article that, based on US Census information, the average retirement age is around 63, with life in retirement lasting 18 years.  According to that statistic, I have only 7 years left in the workforce and 25 years before I start pushing up daisies.  While I have no thoughts of retiring, as I still enjoy what I do, maybe I should take the stats into account.  I am planning to make it to 100 years old, which is 44 years away.  While I do not like to always follow the pack,  at some point, this ride called life will come to the end of the line, whether I am ready or not.

There is some measure of truth in the saying (attributed to Tony Robbins), "Change happens when the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of change.”  As we move through life, we reach different points where we have become comfortable where we are, we take pleasure in “know all” about our supposed areas of expertise, and as a result, start the slide towards Mediocrity.  Roy Vaden made the observation that “Success is never owned; it is only rented, and the rent is due every day!”  As we become comfortable, we tend to slack off, find the easier ways to achieve the same goals (sometimes, however, this can lead to new discoveries), and tend to ride on our laurels.  I am no different.  By becoming the president of a volunteer organization, that I faced many new challenges.  Yes, I was prepared.  Yes, I knew what I was getting into and the potential risks.

Still…we draw the circles around us, put up the fences and rely on that comfy chair.  Stepping out, putting ourselves in a less than familiar environment makes us uncomfortable and vulnerable and triggers those ancient instincts to protect what we have.  Without breaking out the mold of our own creation, without experimenting and without searching out new experiences, we fulfill the image of sitting in the rocking chair on the front porch, sipping lemonade and enjoy watching the grass grow. 

Not for me…new changes, here I come!  More to follow on this in the near future…

No comments:

Post a Comment