Monday, September 24, 2018

I Cannot Believe I Watched This…


OK – I have a confession.  As a general rule of thumb, I do not watch any reality TV, as I have enough in my own life to focus on other than to watch other people’s live through the sanitized presentation of a television station looking to boost ratings.  With taking on the president’s role at my synagogue, my time commitments have obviously changed.  Keep in mind that I still have a full time, outside interests, some semblance of a social life, and most importantly, my family.  Blocking off time to do something as a family means exactly that – blocking off time; time that leads to conversation and hopefully some shared memories.  Over the last few months, that thing that was shared time… - “Big Brother.”  Yes, that is right – a reality TV based game show that lasts 90+ days, requires watching TV 3 times a week and following either feeds or reading others postings on the going on within the “house.”

The thing that is interesting to me is that there are two levels of game play – one competitive and one social.  The competitive aspect includes memory, skills, strength and endurance.  The social game is on interaction, whereby friendships are formed, alliances are agreed upon, decision influence occurs and romances can start.  The ones who advance and the winner are chosen by their peers, which depending on how you treated them in the game can affect their vote. 

Image that I did not start with the first paragraph.  You would not know that I am referring to a television show. What if I had a single sentence to open with “Sometime, it feels like my life is one big game.”  I had done consulting work at a large, multi-national tobacco company, that had interest in the food business and owned a brewery.  As a company, they did not have to worry about revenue streams, so the internal employees were constantly jockeying for positions, manipulating people, forming internal alliances and attempting to “win.” There is the line in the Pink Floyd song “Dogs” that captures what I saw:  “You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to so that when they turn their backs on you, you'll get the chance to put the knife in.” 

I could have been referring to politics, where it can be an endurance test, alliances are definitely made and manipulation occurs; elections can seem sometimes like our decisions are based on social game play as opposed to what candidates really stand for.  This could refer to a High School experience, where sports (endurance and strength) and being popular (friendships) formed many of the cliques we were in or avoided.  Following people that have to spend 24/7 living in a petri dish is a microcosm of life, how we live and how we survive.  Not a new topic, as the literary example would be “Lord of the Flies,” which if you have not read, this is a great chance to do so.  The slick television presentation provides a filter for viewer share, while the behind the scenes you view the emotions, the living aspects, raw (sometimes inappropriate) actions and thinking that occurs. 

While it was fun to watch, as my daughters refer to this as a social experiment, I am looking forward to going back to my own game of life…

No comments:

Post a Comment