Monday, September 17, 2018

We Call Upon Our President


This upcoming week, I am giving my first speech as the president of my synagogue.  Traditionally, the president speaks to the congregation on Kol Nidre, the night when Yom Kippur starts; this is generally a State of the Union type address.  I began thinking and writing ideas about this for weeks.  While I have spoken before, it has never been in this “official” capacity. 

Timing is everything…As the timing would have it, a friend this past week asked me about Toastmasters, what I learned and the benefits.  I am a big fan of this program, even though I have not attended in many months, but keep my membership active.  The questions were simple, “Has it been effective…in becoming a better overall speaker,” and “Would I recommend it?”  My answers were, “Yes and yes.  It has been a big help in how to structure a talk and engage the audience.”  Many years ago, I had dreamt about having the opportunity to speak publicly.  Yes, having been a consultant, speaking in front of people, giving what is known as a persuasion speech was part of the job.  However, with proper guidance and feedback (as with any type of education and mentoring), one can better hone their skills, receive guidance and focus, and advance his or her capabilities.

As I am finishing up preparing my speech, I keep in mind what I have learned:  introducing too many points (some speakers add too many points, have limited support), use an example or story as that helps to visualize, use vocal variety (monotone does not engage) and engage the audience.  While this is a lot to remember, practicing is key.  Yes, you can wing an off-the-cuff speech (i.e., back pocket speech).  However, a formal oration has to be tight with points well-made and not too long.  I am used to practicing 5 to 7 minute or 10 to 12 minute speeches.  That should be more than enough time to convey the points.

When the cue comes, “We now call upon our President…” I just have to remember to take a deep breath, step up to the lectern and enjoy the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment