Monday, April 15, 2019

Snowbird Wayne?


Last weekend I went on a quick visit to my dad and brother in Florida.  Between the cold winter we had this year and the guaranteed warmer weather without snow in Florida, it does make me wonder about becoming a snowbird.  I know that I am in the age group where we begin to think about this, as the winters are seemingly colder than in prior years.  We have friends that are also starting to think along the same lines.  In the little time visiting, I had two completely different experiences.


My father lives in a planned adult community (which at 56, I can buy a unit on my own).  The community is set around an executive golf course, has all types of clubs and a theater on the grounds for movies and live entertainment.  As with many similar developments, there is one club house with a main pool and each sub-development has its own pool.  We have been visiting here for many years – it is a well-kept community in an up and coming town.  A few years ago, they put in a “promenade” where you can wander around outside, shop and eat at good restaurants and a few higher end bars.  It is an idyllic environment.  This visit, I did not have a car, so in the morning after exercising, I was all set to walk to breakfast.  Dunkin Donuts was a 10-minute walk, a pizza place 20, and all else not a short walking distance. 


My brother is staying in a more urban environment.  It is more like apartment living, with each building offering its own amenities, full-service concierges and front door “people”.  The local supermarket is two blocks away, plenty of places to eat and an outdoor concert stage 10 blocks away.  Without having a car, it was easy enough to walk out the back, stroll along the water, pick up a few things and walk back to the apartment.  While I like the grounds where my dad lives, the ease of living without a car on a daily basis does have its appeal.  While physically able, this would be great, and similar to when I travel for work where I like to be where everything I could need is within a short walk.


And then, as quick as the flight down to Florida was, the trip was over and I am flying back home.  Today I could be wearing shorts if I want to and the freezing cold weather is a distant memory.  My girls are sitting in the next room, our friends are in the area and all of our daily living is in New Jersey.  I do not have to choose between the two differing experiences yet, and am still happy where we are.  Truth is, one day we will hopefully have grandchildren and will want to be close by…so the dreams for the future can remain dreams for now and I happily defer that choice for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment